As our aging loved ones get older they need extra care but do not necessarily want the upheaval of moving from their residence. This is described as ‘aging in place’. This term refers to the desire of aging ones and their families to adjust their current residence to cater to their growing needs. While there are many ways to help them with these needs, making appliances more convenient to use may be a good place to start.
Here are some tips:
- Location of microwave oven should be in an easy to reach location. On the countertop or above the oven may be a convenient location.
- Place the refrigerator and freezer side by side and not on top of each other. This will eliminate unnecessary reaching or crouching.
- Side swing ovens are much easier than an oven door that opens towards the floor. Alternatively, an oven mounted on the wall may also make it easier to reach.
- Stoves that are electric and have level burners will help the user to transfer items without difficulty. Also, controls that are easy to read and located on the front can draw the heat away from the user.
- Front loading Washers and dryers make it much easier than top loading ones.
These are just some ideas to help our aging loved ones ‘age in place’ and make it easier while they use their appliances.